Sweet potato provides moistness, a golden hue and a load of nutrients. Serve with soup, chilli, baked beans or barbecued ribs.
Baking Time: 18 to 25 minutes
Makes (muffins) or 4 mini loaves: 12
- 1 Ontario Sweet Potato, about 12 oz (375 g)
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Ontario Milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each baking soda and salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sweet red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely diced Ontario Sweet Red Pepper
Scrub sweet potato and trim off ends. Pierce with small knife in several places; microwave at High for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, turning over halfway through. Let cool enough to handle; remove skin and mash with fork until smooth. Measure 1 cup (250 mL) and place in bowl; whisk in eggs, milk and oil until smooth.
In large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir in sweet potato mixture along with red pepper just until combined.
Spread batter in greased or parchment paper-lined 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan or divide among 12 greased muffins cups. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 18 to 24 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- PROTEIN: 4 grams
- FAT: 6 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 23 grams
- CALORIES: 163