This pancake is wonderful as an appetizer or as a side dish with dinner. Adjust the heat to your liking.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (63 mL) fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 Ontario Sweet Potato (about 12 oz/375 g)
- 1 small Ontario Onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-puprose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- olive oil
In small bowl, stir together yogurt, coriander, green onion and salt; set aside.
Sweet Potato Pancakes:
Peel potato; grate into medium bowl. Peel onion and grate into same bowl; toss. Turn into strainer and squeeze to press out any liquid; return to bowl. Stir in jalapeño. In small bowl, stir together flour, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper; toss with sweet potato mixture. Stir in egg until thoroughly mixed.
Heat just enough oil to coat bottom of large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Using about 3 tbsp (45 mL) potato mixture for each pancake, press gently into 2 inches (5 cm) round. Place in pan. Repeat, adding about 4 more to pan, but do not crowd skillet. Cook for 3 minutes or until bottoms have set and are crisp and brown. Carefully flip and cook until crisp and brown and hot inside, 2 to 3 more minutes. Serve with coriander yogurt sauce spooned over top.
- Protein: 2.0 grams
- Fat: 2.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 9.0 grams
- Calories: 62