Made-ahead and frozen, these easy-to-prepare individual desserts are great to have on hand, ready to bake for a few minutes before serving.
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced Ontario Strawberries
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange liqueur or orange juice concentrate
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch cream of tartar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 cups (750 mL) torn bite-size pieces of angel food cake (about half 300 g in-store bakery cake)
- slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) whole Ontario Strawberries
In food processor, purée strawberries, sugar and liqueur until smooth. Divide sauce among 8 individual ovenproof serving dishes.
In medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric beaters until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in angel cake.
Divide among dishes, mounding over sauce. Sprinkle with almonds. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; freeze for several hours or until ready to bake.
Bake in 425ºF (220ºC) oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Allow to stand for 3 to 4 minutes before serving immediately with extra strawberries as a garnish.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 3.0 grams
- Fat: 2.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 23.0 grams
- Calories: 122