Juicy ripe Ontario Peaches add summer freshness to this colourful skillet jambalaya. You can add whatever Ontario vegetables you have on hand -- but remember the essentials are rice, zesty spices and Ontario Peaches, of course.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each cayenne and hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked rice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced pepperoni
- 1 Ontario Sweet Green Pepper, diced
- 1 large Ontario Field Tomato, diced
- 12 oz (375 g) skinless Ontario Rainbow Trout Fillet(s)
- 4 Ontario Peaches
- 2 Ontario Green Onions, thinly sliced
In large deep skillet, combine broth, garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil over high heat.
Stir rice, pepperoni, green pepper and tomato into boiling mixture. Cover tightly and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 3 minutes.
Cut fish into bite-size pieces. Stir into rice mixture, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel, pit and dice 3 peaches. Slice remaining peach (unpeeled) into wedges for garnish.
Stir diced peaches, any peach juices and onions into rice mixture. Cover and continue to cook until fish is opaque, 2 to 4 minutes.
Garnish with sliced peaches.
- Protein: 24 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrate: 44 grams
- Calories: 340
- Fibre: 3 grams
- Sodium: 275 mg