- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (50mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) toasted pumpkin seeds*
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds:
- 1 cup (250 mL) seeds (unrinsed but pulp removed)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- salt to taste
In 8-cup (2 L) measure, combine 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar, 1/4 cup (50 mL) each corn syrup and water and 1 cup (250 mL) toasted pumpkin seeds*. Microwave at High, uncovered, for 10 to 11 minutes or until medium-dark brown, without stirring. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking soda and vanilla. Immediately pour onto greased baking sheet, spreading out as much as possible and cool; then break into chunks.
* To toast pumpkin seeds, toss 1 cup (250 mL) seeds (unrinsed but pulp removed) with 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil and salt to taste. Spread out in microwave-safe shallow glass dish and microwave at High for 5 minutes, stirring every minute. Then microwave at Medium for 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, or until crisp.
Note: Microwave recipe tested in a 700-watt microwave oven. Power level terminology in microwave oven varies; check your owner's manual and use whichever work or number gives you the same percentages as in the recipe (High is always 100%). If your oven differs, cooking times may vary.