Try this at your next family meal or potluck instead of the traditional mayonnaise-heavy coleslaw.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) dark sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each vegetable oil, soy sauce and granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped gingerroot
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 small deli-roasted Ontario Chicken
- 5 cups (1.25 L) shredded Ontario Green Cabbage
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded Ontario Red Cabbage
- 3 Ontario Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Ontario Carrots, cut in julienne strips
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Mini Cucumbers, halved and sliced on diagonal
- 2 Ontario Apples (unpeeled), cored and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sesame oil, vegetable oil, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, mustard, pepper flakes, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Remove skin from chicken and shred meat into strips. Set aside. In large bowl, toss shredded cabbages, green onions, carrots, cucumbers and apples with dressing. Add chicken and toss again. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours until ready to serve. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Protein: 14 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrate: 16 grams
- Calories: 186
- Fibre: 3 grams
- Sodium: 276 mg