The delicate texture of farm raised-trout is enhanced by a light coating of cumin-scented cornmeal. As a contrast to its mild sweet taste, we’ve created a bold sauce from fresh Ontario vegetables.
Serves 4 with 1-1/2 cup (375 mL) sauce
- 4 Ontario Green Onions, sliced
- 3 cloves Ontario Garlic, coarsely chopped
- Half Ontario Jalapeño Pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red Pepper, cut into chunks
- 3 large Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried thyme leaves, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Coriander Leaves
- 2 Ontario Rainbow Trout Fillets (375 g each), skin removed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cornmeal
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Ontario Milk
- 4 tsp (20 mL) butter
- 4 Kaiser buns
- 4 Ontario Greenhouse Lettuce Leaves
Jerk Sauce: In food processor, place onions, garlic and jalapeño; process until coarsely ground. Add red pepper, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic salt and cayenne pepper; pulse until chunky, about 10 times.
In large skillet, over medium heat, add jerk sauce. Boil gently, uncovered stirring often, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in coriander.
Trout: Cut fish into serving-size pieces. In shallow dish, combine cornmeal, cumin and salt. In another dish, whisk egg with milk. One at a time, coat both sides of fish in egg mixture; then in cornmeal mixture.
In large skillet, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium heat. Add fish and cook until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining butter to skillet. Turn fish; cook 3 to 5 minutes. Serve on bun with lettuce and Jerk Sauce.
- PROTEIN: 46 grams
- FAT: 19 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 68 grams
- CALORIES: 632
- FIBRE: 4 grams
- SODIUM: 525 mg