Bulgur is partially steamed, dried crushed wheat kernels or berries. Look for it in bulk stores or in packages in the grain and rice section of your supermarket. Because it is partially cooked, it really just needs rehydrating. Fresh greenhouse tomatoes, cucumber and parsley add a refreshing punch, and tuna packs protein. Take any leftovers to the office or school for a healthy lunch.
- 1 cup (250 mL) bulgur
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) boiling water
- 3 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Half Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 can (170 g) chunk light tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
Place bulgur and salt in large bowl. Pour boiling water over and stir; let stand, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Add tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, parsley and tuna; toss. Sprinkle with oil and lemon juice; toss to coat evenly. Season to taste with pepper and more salt. Serve at room temperature.
- Protein: 19.0 grams
- Fat: 12.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 38.0 grams
- Calories: 328