Roughly chopped vegetables and flavourful chicken thighs lend a rustic look to this hearty family dish. Serve with pasta and crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) each dried thyme and basil leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 8 boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Thighs
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 large Ontario Onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) quartered Ontario Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chicken broth
- 3 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Ontario Parmesan Cheese
In small bowl, stir thyme, basil, salt, rosemary and pepper. Rub seasoning over chicken.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add onion; cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping up brown bits. Bring to boil; boil until reduced by half. Return chicken to skillet; cover with tomatoes. Reduce heat to simmer. Partially cover; cook, turning occasionally, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 20 to 30 minutes.
Remove chicken to serving plate. Increase heat to high; reduce tomato mixture to sauce consistency. Stir in parsley and vinegar; spoon over chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Protein: 31 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Carbohydrate: 11 grams
- Calories: 285
- Fibre: 2 grams
- Sodium: 730 mg