Italian-inspired, these burgers are bursting with fresh flavours.
Grilling Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh Ontario Basil Leaves
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) lean Ontario Ground Veal
- 1 Ontario Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 large Ontario Onion, sliced
- 1 large Ontario Sweet Greenhouse or Field Yellow Pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 200 g container Ontario Bocconcini Cheese, drained and sliced
- 1 Ciabatta baguette, cut into 6 pieces and sliced in half lengthwise
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) tomato sauce
- 30 fresh Ontario Basil Leaves
In food processor, combine basil, cheese, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil and garlic; process until almost smooth. In large bowl, combine veal, egg, breadcrumbs, basil pesto, salt and pepper. Shape into 6 burgers.
In medium bowl, toss onion, yellow pepper and remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil. Place in grilling basket; grill, covered over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
Place burgers on greased grill over medium-high heat. Grill, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until no longer pink inside and thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each burger reads 160°F (71°C). Top with cheese; grill to melt.
Toast baguette cut side down on grill. Spread each baguette bottom with tomato sauce. Top with burger, grilled peppers and onion, basil and baguette top.
- PROTEIN: 29 grams
- FAT: 19 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 37 grams
- CALORIES: 440
- FIBRE: 2 grams
- SODIUM: 820 mg