Come in from the outdoors and enjoy a steaming bowl of this hearty, smoky venison chili smothered with all the great toppings. Serve with crusty bread.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each ground cumin and chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each cayenne pepper and smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) Ontario Venison Shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 8 oz (250 g) ground Ontario Venison
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 hot chili peppers, minced
- 1 large Ontario Onion, diced
- 1 each large sweet red and green pepper, diced
- 1 can (540 mL) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Beer
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) smoky barbecue sauce
- Hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Ontario Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped green onions
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded smoked Ontario Gouda Cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh Ontario Cilantro
Seasoning Mix: In small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. Set aside.
Chili: In heavy bottomed large pot, heat 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil over high heat, for 2 for 3 minutes or until you start to see a wisp of smoke coming from the pot. Cook diced and ground venison in small batches, until meat is browned; transfer to large bowl; set aside.
Add remaining oil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic, hot chili peppers and onion; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until starting to soften. Stir in reserved seasoning mix; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in red and green peppers; cook for 1 minute. Stir in reserved venison and diced tomatoes.
Increase heat to high, stir in beer and deglaze the pot. Stir in tomato and barbecue sauces; cook stirring occasionally, until chili comes to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until venison is tender and chili is saucy and thick. Season to taste, with hot sauce, salt and pepper.
Toppings: To serve, ladle chili into bowls and garnish with sour cream, green onions, cheese and cilantro. Serve immediately.
1 Serving (with toppings):
- PROTEIN: 43 grams
- FAT: 20 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 23 grams
- CALORIES: 458
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 1820