Venison, personally hunted or farm raised by a local producer, is a lean but tasty meat. Served with roasted garlic, onions, carrots, squash, beets and mushrooms, this is a hearty and warm comforting dish for a chilly evening.
Roasting Time: 30 minutes, Slow-Cooker Time: 8-1/2 hours
- 2 Ontario Beets
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 Ontario Onions, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks
- 2 Ontario Carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) chunks
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) chunks peeled Ontario Butternut Squash
- 2 cups (500 mL) small Ontario White Button Mushrooms
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Yellow Pepper, cut into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) chunks
- 2 lbs (1 kg) Ontario Venison Meat, cut into 2-1/2-inch (6 cm) cubes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) potato starch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dehydrated minced onion and paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) beef broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Ontario Craft Beer
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
Peel beets and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) chunks. Place in medium roasting pan; toss with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the vegetable oil; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In large roasting pan; place garlic, onions, carrots, squash, mushrooms and yellow pepper, drizzle with 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the vegetable oil; season with salt and pepper, toss.
Place both roasting pans in oven. Roast at 450°F (230°C) until vegetables are lightly browned but still firm, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
In large bowl, toss venison with potato starch, salt, pepper, minced onion, paprika and garlic powder.
In large skillet, heat remaining 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the vegetable oil over high heat. Working in small batches, add venison and cook until lightly browned on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to slow-cooker. Add broth, beer, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano and thyme. Cover and cook on low until tender, about 8 hours. Add the roast vegetables to slow cooker and cook on low for 30 minutes to warm vegetables.
- PROTEIN: 28 grams
- FAT: 17 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 19 grams
- CALORIES: 343
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 1060 mg