This complete meal in itself heralds the arrival of spring. With fresh Ontario spinach and asparagus now available, this salad tastes even better than it looks!
- 1 bunch Ontario Spinach, washed and dried
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless Ontario Chicken Breasts
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario Mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each vegetable oil and extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each dried tarragon and Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, cut into wedges
Break off stems from spinach and discard. Tear spinach into bite-sized pieces; place in large bowl. Set aside. Break off tough ends of asparagus and discard. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook asparagus for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add to spinach.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken on both sides. Add mushrooms; cook until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in jar, shake together vinegar, vegetable oil, olive oil, garlic, tarragon, mustard, salt, sugar and pepper until well blended. Pour about 2 tbsp (25 mL) over chicken mixture; cook, stirring, for another minute or until well coated.
Add vinaigrette to spinach mixture; toss to coat. Arrange on 4 dinner plates, placing asparagus on top in spokelike fashion. Arrange tomatoes around edge. Remove chicken from pan and cut into crosswise strips. Arrange on top of salad with sprinkling of mushrooms. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 34.0 grams
- Fat: 26.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10.5 grams
- Calories: 412