Autumn colours abound in this tasty and oh-so-seasonal vegetarian dinner. Roasted squash, carrots and red onion add a sweetness that is balanced by tangy feta.
Roasting Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Ontario Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and dried thyme leaves
- Pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) pot barley, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) green lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 4 cups (1 L) cubed, peeled Ontario Butternut Squash
- 2 Ontario Carrots, cut into pieces
- 1 Ontario Red Onion, thickly sliced
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Ontario Feta Cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Ontario Microgreens
In small bowl, whisk together 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the oil, vinegar, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each of the salt and thyme. Season to taste with pepper; set aside.
In medium saucepan, combine barley, remaining salt and 4 cups (1 L) water. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Add lentils and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well; place in large bowl. Add cranberries, toss with half of the dressing; set aside.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, toss squash, carrots, remaining oil and thyme and pinch of pepper. Spread on large parchment paper-lined baking pan. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven for 20 minutes, stirring partway through. Stir onion and garlic into vegetables; roast until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Scrape into medium bowl; toss with remaining dressing.
Place warm barley mixture on serving platter. Spoon vegetables over top, sprinkle with feta, pumpkin seeds and microgreens.
Tip: Ontario Goat Cheese (Chèvre) can be used in place of feta, baby arugula in place of micro greens.
- Protein: 14 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Carbohydrate: 75 grams
- Calories: 510
- Fibre: 10 grams
- Sodium: 840 mg