For an easy and lovely dessert for Mother's Day, serve this sauce warm over frozen vanilla yogurt (or ice cream) and angel food cake. The early hothouse rhubarb makes for a very pretty pink sauce.
Cooking time: 5 to 7 minutes
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped Ontario Rhubarb (1/2-inch/1 cm pieces, about 1 lb (500 g)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) minced crystallized ginger
- 1 lemon wedge
- 4 scoops low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt or ice cream
- 4 angel food cake cups or 1 angel food cake, cut into wedges
In large microwaveable bowl (8 cup/2 L), combine rhubarb, brown sugar and ginger. Microwave at High for 5 to 7 minutes (700 watt microwave oven) or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally. Add squeeze of lemon juice. Stir and let cool until warm.
To serve, place scoop of frozen yogurt on angel food cake cup or wedge. Spoon warm rhubarb sauce over all.
Sauce can be made ahead and reheated just before serving.
If using field rhubarb, taste and add more sugar, as needed.
Angel food cake cups are called a variety of names such as berry cups, sponge cake cups.
NOTE: Microwave recipes tested in a 700-watt microwave oven. Power level terminology in microwave ovens varies; check your owner's manual and use whichever word or number gives you the same percentages as in the recipe (High is always 100%). If your oven differs, cooking times may vary.
- Protein: 12.0 grams
- Fat: 5.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 73.0 grams
- Calories: 375
- Source of Fibre