In the West Indies, this tasty stew is made with pumpkin in place of the squash. Serve with rice.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped Ontario Onion
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 4 tsp (20 mL) mild curry powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves or allspice (optional)
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped Ontario Tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Red and Yellow Peppers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
- 2-1/2 lb (1.25 g) Ontario Chicken Drumsticks and Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 4 cups (1 L) cubed (3/4-inch/2 cm) peeled Ontario Squash (such as Butternut or Hubbard) or Pie Pumpkin
- Salt and pepper
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, curry powder and cloves, if using; cook for 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes, red and yellow peppers and broth; bring to boil over high heat. Add chicken and squash; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and squash is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- PROTEIN: 40 grams
- FAT: 17 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 31 grams
- CALORIES: 436
- HIGH SOURCE OF FIBRE