This Asian-style stir-fry of nutritious and economical Ontario winter vegetables is delicious served over noodles or rice.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced gingerroot
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 Ontario Onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 Ontario Carrots, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely shredded Ontario Green Cabbage
- Half green pepper, cut in thin strips
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chicken broth or water
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ontario Bean Sprouts
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced Ontario Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dry sherry
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot chili sauce or crushed red pepper flakes
In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, cornstarch and chili sauce. Set aside.
Heat wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add oil, swirling to coat sides; stir-fry ginger and garlic for a few seconds. Add onions, carrots, cabbage, green pepper and broth; stir-fry until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Add bean sprouts and mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Stir sauce mixture; add to wok and cook until thickened, about 30 seconds.
- Protein: 4 grams
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrate: 17 grams
- Calories: 129
- Fibre: 4 grams
- Sodium: 385 mg