O. Reg. 172/03: DEFINITIONS OF 'DEFICIENCY' AND 'MUNICIPAL DRINKING WATER SYSTEM'Skip to content
Safe Drinking Water Act, 2002
definitions of “Deficiency” and “Municipal drinking water system”
Consolidation Period: From July 1, 2019 to the e-Laws currency date.
Legislative History:, , , .
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. A violation of any of the following provisions is prescribed as a deficiency for the purposes of the Act, including the definition of “deficiency” in subsection 2 (1) of the Act, if, in the opinion of the Director, the violation poses a drinking water health hazard:
1. Subsection 18 (1) of the Act.
2. Schedules 1, 2 and 6 to 18 to Ontario Regulation 170/03 (Drinking Water Systems).
3. Revoked: O. Reg. 329/08, s. 1.
4. Section 22 of Ontario Regulation 128/04 (Certification of Drinking Water System Operators and Water Quality Analysts). O. Reg. 172/03, s. 1; O. Reg. 257/05, s. 1; O. Reg. 329/08, s. 1.
“Municipal Drinking Water System”
2. (1) The following class is prescribed for the purposes of clause (d) of the definition of “municipal drinking water system” in subsection 2 (1) of the Act:
1. A drinking water system or part of a drinking water system, established after June 1, 2003, that serves a major residential development and satisfies the conditions set out in subsection (2). O. Reg. 172/03, s. 2; O. Reg. 209/19, s. 1 (1).
(2) The conditions referred to in paragraph 1 of subsection (1) are the following:
1. The drinking water system or part of the drinking water system is established in accordance with an agreement with a municipality, entered into under the Planning Act, the Development Charges Act, 1997 or the Condominium Act, 1998.
2. The agreement referred to in paragraph 1 provides that ownership of the drinking water system or part of the drinking water system may be transferred to one of the following:
i. The municipality.
ii. A public utility commission deemed to be a municipal service board under section 195 of the Municipal Act, 2001.
iii. A municipal service board established under sections 9, 10, 11 and 196 of the Municipal Act, 2001 or a city board as defined in subsection 3 (1) of the City of Toronto Act, 2006.
iv. A corporation established under sections 9, 10 and 11 of the Municipal Act, 2001 in accordance with section 203 of that Act or under sections 7 and 8 of the City of Toronto Act, 2006 in accordance with sections 148 and 154 of that Act. O. Reg. 209/19, s. 1 (2).
3. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of the English version of this Regulation). O. Reg. 172/03, s. 3.