Order in Council 1772/2020
On the recommendation of the undersigned, the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, by and with the advice and concurrence of the Executive Council of Ontario, orders that:
A proclamation in the respect of Santa claus as an Essential Service Provider be issued in the form set out below.
Elizabeth the second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.
Whereas the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to covid-19) Act, 2020, S.O. 2020, c. 17 came into force on July 21, 2020 (“the Act”);
And whereas, the government has employed a variety of public health measures to address the current covid-19 pandemic, including establishing regulations under the Act to address the spread of covid-19 by regulating businesses, places and gatherings;
And whereas the provision of essential goods and services should continue to function to the full extent possible, in compliance with the advice and instructions of public health officials;
And whereas Schedule 2 of Ontario Regulation 82/20, Rules for Areas in Stage 1, made under the Act provides that delivery services, manufacturing businesses and transportation services are all essential services that are authorized to be provided to the people of Ontario;
And whereas Santa Claus, a resident of the North Pole, Canada, has visited the Province of Ontario each year on the evening of December 24th, accompanied by his elves and reindeer helpers;
And whereas the government is committed to ensuring that Santa Claus is able to work in Ontario and visit Ontario households in a safe manner;
Now therefore a proclamation is issued, effective December 24, 2020, confirming that:
- Santa claus is an essential service provider and is authorized to deliver toys, treats and good cheer to the children of Ontario; and
- the Elves’ toy workshop is an essential manufacturing business and is authorized to supply Santa Claus with toys and gifts; and
- Santa’s reindeer, including Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and Rudolph are essential transportation service providers and are authorized to convey Santa Claus across every part of Ontario; and that
- Santa claus shall provide services in accordance with the advice, recommendations and instructions of the Chief Medical Officer of Health.
- And that all of the people of Ontario, however they celebrate this season, are recognized for their efforts to follow public health advice and make this a safe and happy holiday season and New Year.
Approved and Ordered: December 17, 2020