2014 Mandate letter: Pan/Parapan American Games Secretariat
Premier’s instructions to the Minister on priorities for the year 2014
On this page Skip this page navigation
September 25, 2014
The Honourable Michael Coteau
Minister Responsible for the 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games
Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
Ninth Floor, Hearst Block
900 Bay Street
Dear Minister Coteau:
I am honoured to welcome you to your role as Minister Responsible for the 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games. We have a strong Cabinet in place, and I am confident that together we will build Ontario up, create new opportunities and champion a secure future for people across our province. The people of Ontario have entrusted their government to be a force for good, and we will reward that trust by working every day in the best interests of every person in this province.
As we implement a balanced and comprehensive plan for Ontario, we will lead from the activist centre. We will place emphasis on partnerships with businesses, communities and people to help foster continued economic growth and make a positive impact on the lives of every Ontarian. This collaborative approach will shape all the work we do. It will ensure we engage people on the issues that matter the most to them, and that we implement meaningful solutions to our shared challenges.
Our government’s most recent Speech from the Throne outlined a number of key priorities that will guide your work as minister. Growing the economy and helping to create good jobs are fundamental to building more opportunity and security, now and in the future. That critical priority is supported by strategic investments in the talent and skills of our people, from childhood to retirement. It is supported through the building of modern infrastructure, transit and a seamless transportation network. It is supported by a dynamic business climate that thrives on innovation, creativity and partnerships to foster greater prosperity. And it is reflected across all of our government, in every area, and will extensively inform our programs and policies.
As we move forward with our plan to grow the economy and create jobs, we will do so through the lens of fiscal prudence. Our 2014 Budget reinforces our commitment to balancing the budget by 2017-18; it is essential that every area adheres to the program-spending objectives established in it. We will choose to invest wisely in initiatives that strengthen Ontario’s competitive advantage, create jobs and provide vital public services to our families. The President of the Treasury Board, collaborating with the Minister of Finance, will work closely with you and your fellow Cabinet members to ensure that our government meets its fiscal targets. The President of the Treasury Board will also lead the government’s efforts on accountability, openness and modernization as we implement new accountability measures across government.
As Minister Responsible for the 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games, you will continue to engage other governments, sport partners and stakeholders to enable a successful Games. You will work to ensure that the Games showcase the talents of athletes of all abilities — and promote Ontario’s success in creating a more accessible, inclusive society.
Your ministry’s specific priorities include:
Fostering Partnership, Community Engagement and Inclusion
- Collaborating with the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games Organizing Committee (TO2015), relevant ministers and other partners to develop and implement strategies for community engagement and inclusion.
- Working in partnership with Aboriginal communities and leaders to ensure they are successfully connected to the Games.
- Continuing to support the volunteer efforts of TO2015. You will seek opportunities to benefit from the talents, skills and diversity of Ontarians by capitalizing on TO2015’s volunteer programs. Your goal is to build strong and caring communities.
Managing Host Jurisdiction Services and Infrastructure
- Working closely with relevant ministers, TO2015 and other partners to effectively co-ordinate operational and other matters for the Games. I ask that you focus on capital infrastructure, transportation planning, security, municipal services, health and emergency management, and government co-ordination leading up to and during the Games.
Developing a Communications Strategy
- Working with TO2015 and partner ministers to continue to develop and implement a strong and comprehensive communications strategy to increase awareness of the Games. I ask that you work with partners to develop and implement a plan for communications, issues management and hosting dignitaries during the Games.
Implementing and Promoting Games Legacies
- Implementing the government’s legacy strategy for the Games. This strategy will maximize our investments, leverage longer-term public benefits and ensure support leading up to, during and after the Games.
- Enabling increased youth participation in sport and healthy active living.
- Building on the Games’ volunteer programs to help connect volunteers with organizations and employment opportunities after the Games.
- Working with stakeholders to make Ontario a more accessible and barrier-free tourist destination.
Maximizing the Economic Benefits of the Games
- Showcasing Ontario to an international audience and creating economic opportunities through jobs, tourism and strategic investments. The Games are expected to generate more than 26,000 new jobs, grow our GDP by $3.7 billion — and attract more than 250,000 tourists.
- Continuing to work with other ministers and partners to maximize the economic impact of the Games.
Ensuring Fiscal Responsibility and Accountability
- Working with TO2015 to minimize financial pressures on Ontario related to Games delivery.
- Working to ensure that appropriate accountability and transparency measures are in place relating to the management of the Games.
Concluding the Games
- Working with TO2015 to ensure its orderly dissolution. You will also wind down provincial activities, in accordance with the Games governing agreements, and report publicly on the results and achievements of the Games.
We have an ambitious agenda for the next four years. I know that, by working together in partnership, we can be successful. The above list of priority initiatives is not meant to be exhaustive, as there are many other responsibilities that you and your ministry will need to carry out. To that end, this mandate letter is to be used by your ministry to develop more detailed plans for implementation of the initiatives above, in addition to other initiatives not highlighted in this letter.
I ask that you continue to build on the strong relationships we have with the Ontario Public Service, the broader public sector, other levels of government, and the private, non-profit and voluntary sectors. We want to be the most open and transparent government in the country. We want to be a government that works for the people of this province — and with them. It is of the utmost importance that we lead responsibly, act with integrity, manage spending wisely and are accountable for every action we take.
I look forward to working together with you in building opportunity today, and securing the future for all Ontarians.