Early Researcher Awards
How to get government funding to build a research team.
On this page Skip this page navigation
How it works
The Early Researcher Awards program gives funding to new researchers working at publicly funded Ontario research institutions to build a research team.
Who is eligible
You are eligible if you:
- are a full-time faculty member or principal investigator based at an eligible research institution
- have started your academic career on or after January 1, 2015
- have completed your first Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree, Medical Doctor or terminal degree on or after January 1, 2010
- have not already held an Early Researcher Award
- are not a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair
Eligible institutions include:
- research hospitals
- research institutes
Each award to a leading researcher is a maximum of $100,000 and must be matched by an additional $50,000 from the researcher’s institution.
The government will provide up to $40,000 to your research centre for operating costs.
How to submit your application
Currently, the ministry is not accepting applications for this program. Please continue to visit this website for updates on future rounds of the program.
The review panel scores applicants on:
- excellence of the researcher
- quality of the proposal
- development of research talent
- benefits for Ontario (e.g. cultural, economic, etc.)
Unsuccessful applicants will get a copy of the review panel’s comments.
Information about projects supported through the Early Researcher Awards can be found on the Ontario Open data website.
If you have questions, please contact:
For application and adjudication
Toni Glick (primary contact)