How it works

We're providing funding to help licensed small and rural retirement homes install automatic fire sprinkler systems. This is to help retirement homes comply with the Ontario Fire Code.

The Ontario Fire code requires all retirement homes upgrade to automatic fire sprinklers by January 1, 2019.

Over 6,000 suites in small or rural retirement homes are eligible.

Who is eligible

To be eligible, the retirement home must:

  • be licensed by the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority
  • be either small and/or rural
  • be independent and not a franchise/“chain”
  • show it can’t afford the total cost of the retrofits

Read the program guidelines for detailed eligibility requirements.

How you can use the program funding

We're giving funding on a cost-shared basis to cover a portion of installing the automatic fire sprinklers. The retirement home is responsible for all of the remaining costs.

You can use the funding to pay for three types of work:

Water capacity work

You can use the funding to increase the retirement home’s water capacity to meet the demand of automatic fire sprinklers, or to install water tanks and pumps to better supply water to fire sprinklers.

Automatic fire sprinklers installation

You can use the funding to install automatic fire sprinklers that meet Ontario Fire Code, Building Code, and other applicable legal requirements.

If there is not enough water capacity to run traditional fire sprinklers, sprinkler systems that use water mist are acceptable.

Remediation work

We will consider (using our discretion and on a case by case basis) additional remediation work related to the installation of the automatic fire sprinklers.

This can include:

  • asbestos abatement as a result of the installation
  • remediation of the structure as required to comply with Building Code requirements, where such remediation resulted from the installation work


The application deadline of June 1, 2018 for the Fire Sprinkler Retrofit Program has now passed.

Retrofits must be completed by December 31, 2018.

Contact us

You can email or mail us any questions you have.


Email us if you have any questions.




Send a question by mail to:

Ministry of Seniors Affairs
777 Bay Street, Suite 601C
Toronto, Ontario
M7A 2J4