First Nation COVID-19 (coronavirus) supports
As part of Ontario's Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19, funding was available to help First Nations communities respond to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak. Applications for funding are now closed.
Funding streams support outbreak planning, prevention and mitigation efforts.
On this page Skip this page navigation
First Nation funding streams
People and distribution of goods
Funding for First Nations communities to access emergency relief and supports including:
- Emergency needs such as food, water, basic household goods, baby and elderly care supplies
- Ongoing food security, including supports for hunters, trappers and communal storage
- Transportation and distribution of goods to communities
- Transportation of medical and mental health workers into and out of communities, and of community members to medical treatments outside the community
First Nation community awareness and prevention
Funding to support emergency communications and community outreach, including:
- Community communication tools and translation
- Outreach to vulnerable groups
- Enhanced public health measures
First Nation pandemic planning
Funding to build regional and community capacity for culturally appropriate community and pandemic planning, including:
- Salaries and wages
- Meetings and IT
- Community health coordination
- Supports to implement existing emergency plans
First Nation self-isolation facilities
Funding to enable First Nations communities to contract with private or public facilities which may be repurposed as self-isolation facilities or field hospitals and to support the purchase of appropriate supplies and equipment.
Priority will be given to communities experiencing the most need, including those where COVID-19 cases are identified.
Who can apply
Ontario First Nations, Tribal Councils and Provincial Territorial Organizations (PTOs) can apply for funds from one or more of the funding streams that best address their needs.
How to apply
Applications for this funding closed on June 12, 2020 and applicants have been notified of funding decisions.