Get money to launch or grow a tech business
If you’re an entrepreneur between 18-29 years old, a student or a recent graduate participating in a Campus-Linked Accelerator program or on-campus entrepreneurship activities, you can get up to $35,000 to launch and grow your technology or innovation-based business. This program is called SmartStart Seed Fund.
On this page Skip this page navigation
How it works
SmartStart Seed Fund delivered through Ontario Centres of Excellence.
Through the program, you can get:
- up to $30,000 in early-stage funding to help you launch and grow your business, providing you get 1:1 matching funds from at least 1 other source
- up to $5,000 in financing, with no matching funds required, to apply towards business skills training and support services (e.g., workshops and seminars, peer networks, mentoring and other entrepreneurship learning opportunities)
- access to regional business and investment networks and resources
Who is eligible
You can apply if you’re:
- a technology or innovation-based entrepreneur, between 18 -29 years old, with an incorporated startup based in Ontario, including 1 linked to – or based in — an Ontario college or university
- a student or recent graduate affiliated with a Campus-Linked Accelerator or participating in on-campus entrepreneurship activities
- free to use or develop your startup’s intellectual property with no third-party rights
- not a previous recipient of Ontario Centres of Excellence funding (e.g., SmartStart, Voucher for Commercialization or Market Readiness Phase 1, 2 or 3)
- a Canadian citizen or permanent resident with:
- a viable business plan
- an aptitude for entrepreneurship
- a commitment to growing an Ontario-based company
How to apply
You need to apply through the Ontario Centres of Excellence.
Their Business Development Managers are available to help you with your application.