On this page Skip this page navigation
We are creating a youth environment council to provide young Ontarians with an opportunity to share your insights and ideas on climate change and other environmental issues that will impact your future.
If you are an Ontarian in grades 9 to 12 now, or as of the 2021 fall school year, we encourage you to apply to become a volunteer member.
Applications are due by August 4th at 11:59 p.m.
The final members of the Ontario Youth Environment Council will be announced later this summer.
About the Ontario Youth Environment Council
Young Ontarians are helping to find solutions to some of the most pressing environmental challenges. We want to work with you as we look for ways to:
- strengthen our understanding of youth climate concerns from a regional perspective
- ensure that youth voices are informing our environmental and climate change solutions, programs and policy
- build new connections and relationships between youth who are engaged in the environment and climate change issues and solutions
- provide youth with learning opportunities on environmental and climate issues, solutions, and policies in Ontario through presentations and discussions with stakeholder experts, ministry staff and with each other
The Ontario Youth Environment Council will meet monthly from September 2021 to April 2022 to:
- hear presentations from environmental guest speakers including stakeholder and ministry experts
- discuss a range of environmental and climate change issues
- provide feedback on potential solutions to ministry officials, including to the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
The group will include volunteer members representing all regions of Ontario, including Indigenous communities.
Members may be eligible to be reimbursed for reasonable work-related expenses in accordance with the government’s Travel, Meal and Hospitality Expenses Directive.
The application process
Who can apply
To apply, you must:
- live in Ontario
- be in grades 9 to 12 now, or as of the 2021 fall school year
You are not eligible to apply if your parent, sibling, spouse or child works for the Ontario government.
You should have:
- a passion for the environment
- an understanding of key climate-related issues and solutions in your town, city or region
- a knowledge of the government’s actions to protect the environment and address climate change
- work, volunteer experience, or other activities related to climate change and the environment
How to apply
Applications are due by August 4th at 11:59 p.m. We will not accept late applications.
The application form requires you to:
- answer questions about your experience and perspectives on climate
- provide a minimum of two references
When you write your answers, tell us why you would make a valuable member of the group. We are looking for answers that include your:
- unique perspectives and views on climate change and environmental issues
- knowledge of climate change, climate solutions and environmental issues through formal or self-directed learning
- experience in climate solutions, environmental issues or community engagement through your work, volunteering or other activities
After you apply
Staff from the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks will evaluate all applications based on your:
- knowledge of climate change and environment issues and solutions
- perspectives on climate and environmental issues
- work experience, volunteer participation or other activities related to climate change and the environment
We may contact you for more information. We may also contact the references you provide.
The members of the Ontario Youth Environment Council will be announced later this summer.
The group will hold its first virtual meeting in September 2021.