Managing Published Data
All published datasets must be updated and maintained as applicable.
Routine or minor updates (e.g. correcting errors or typos) to ministry datasets do not have to go through the entire publishing process. However, major structural changes (such as the addition or removal of data elements) to the data must go through a new assessment to ensure no new risks have been introduced.
To update the dataset:
- Update the data file according to your internal process if the dataset is hosted on your own website and notify OG.
- Send the updated file to OG if the data is hosted on the Data Catalogue on Ontario.ca.
For data published as an application (APIs), major changes should be documented in technical documentation hosted on the Data Catalogue.
In situations where active maintenance and updates of a dataset are discontinued, or where any published dataset must be replaced with a newer or modified version, the dataset description should be updated in the catalogue to reflect the “inactive” status, without restricting public access to the dataset.
Where custody and control for a dataset is transferred from one program area to another program area, the new program area must update the dataset description in the Data Catalogue to reflect this.
Major changes such as the inclusion of a new data element and publishing new data in the Data Catalogue must follow the data risk assessment and publishing process. Ministries are encouraged to contact the OGO early in their update if they are unsure whether their update is minor or major.
Datasets released as Open Data should not be deleted or removed from public access, except where a dataset is published in error.
If you need to remove a dataset from the Data Catalogue, the following steps must be taken:
- Document the reason for requesting the removal of the dataset from the catalogue in a briefing note that is approved by your Deputy Minister.
- Submit the request to remove the dataset, along with a rationale for the removal and links to remaining related datasets to OG.
- OG will work with the appropriate teams to remove and record the dataset.
- OG will maintain a public inventory of removed datasets and their reasons for removal.