Made with crisp fall apples and sour cream, these moist, spicy wedges are delicious served warm with honey, cream cheese or a slather of creamy maple butter -- just the thing to complete your Thanksgiving brunch. They also freeze well.
Baking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2-1/4 cups (550 mL) diced Ontario Apples, peeled if desired (3 medium Cortland or McIntosh apples)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Ontario Sour Cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in apples and walnuts.
In small bowl, using a fork, stir sour cream and egg until well mixed. Stir into flour mixture to form smooth, soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead 8 times. Shape into 9-inch (23 cm) circle.
Topping: Mix sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle evenly on top. Cut into 12 equal wedges. Arrange wedges, 1-inch (2.5 cm) apart, on parchment paper-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.
- PROTEIN: 4 grams
- FAT: 14 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 26 grams
- CALORIES: 244
- FIBRE: 2 grams