Fresh slices of tart ripe apples and sweet harvest pears create a rich maple-glazed pinwheel atop a homey nutmeg-scented buttermilk cake. The cake is also delicious without the glaze. McIntosh, Northern Spy and Cortland apples work equally well in this cake.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) buttermilk
- 2 small Ontario Apples (unpeeled), thinly sliced
- 1 small Ontario Pear (unpeeled), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Ontario Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
Lightly oil or butter 9-1/2 inch (24 cm) springform pan. In bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt until evenly blended.
In mixing bowl and using electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
With mixer on low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry and 2 of liquid, to make thick batter. Turn into prepared pan and smooth top. Arrange alternating slices of apple and pear in tight concentric pattern on top, gently pushing cut side of fruit into batter. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Meanwhile, in small saucepan, whisk together maple syrup and cornstarch over medium heat until blended; bring to boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes Brush over hot cake; let cool 5 minutes Remove sides of pan. Brush sides of cake with glaze. Gently pour remaining glaze over top. Cut into wedges and serve warm or cool. Cake will keep refrigerated for several days.
Nutrients per serving
- Protein: 6.0 grams
- Fat: 9.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 59.0 grams
- Calories: 341