This savoury flatbread, loaded with asparagus, ham, onion and Parmesan cheese, makes a delicious focal point for a casual brunch. Serve with a lightly dressed green salad or sliced Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes and Cucumbers. Add a fresh strawberry dessert for a decidedly spring feel.
- 3 cups (750 mL) biscuit mix
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each of dry mustard and pepper
- 2 Ontario Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups (350 mL) Ontario Milk
- 2 lb (1 kg) Ontario Asparagus
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Black Forest ham, about 4 oz (125 g)
- 1 Ontario Onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (4 oz/125 g)
In large bowl, combine biscuit mix, tarragon, mustard and pepper. In another bowl, beat eggs with milk; pour over dry mixture and stir until smooth. Spread half in greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) cake pan (mixture will be thin).
Break tough ends from asparagus. Arrange half in single layer on batter. Sprinkle with ham, onion and half of the cheese. Spread remaining batter over top. Arrange remaining asparagus over batter; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes before serving warm or at room temperature.
- Protein: 23.0 grams
- Fat: 17.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 48.0 grams
- Calories: 437