Here is a savoury breakfast muffin that can be made ahead and frozen for breakfast on-the-go.
- 1 small Ontario Onion, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) each diced Ontario Sweet Red and Green Pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cornmeal
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking soda and salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each pepper and dried thyme
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded sharp (aged) Ontario Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced cooked bacon (4 slices)
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) milk
In microwaveable bowl, combine onion, red and green peppers and oil. Cover and cook on High for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes to soften. Set aside.
In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper and thyme. Stir in cheese and bacon. In another bowl, lightly beat egg; stir in milk. Add milk mixture and vegetable mixture to dry mixture and stir just until moistened.
Spoon batter into greased muffin cups. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack 5 minutes; turn muffins out to cool completely.
Tip: Try diced ham or smoked sausage instead of bacon.
- Protein: 7.0 grams
- Fat: 12.0 grams
- Carbohydrate: 22.0 grams
- Fibre: 1.0 gram
- Calories: 224