The sweetness of the peaches and plums contrast beautifully with the spicy jalapeño in the salsa and the full-flavoured spiced chicken. If you like your food really fiery, stir an extra jalapeño into the salsa. It's delicious with fish and pork as well. Or barbecue extra chicken, then slice and serve in tortilla wraps with grilled red peppers and onions, the salsa and sour cream.
Spicy Peach and Plum Salsa:
- 2 Ontario Peaches
- 2 Ontario Plums
- 2 small Ontario Plum Tomatoes, seeded
- 2 Ontario Green Onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 Ontario Jalapeño Pepper, minced
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped fresh Ontario Mint or Coriander
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried oregano, chili powder and ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Breasts
Spicy peach and plum salsa:
Peel peaches if desired; dice into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces and place in medium bowl. Dice plums and tomatoes into same size pieces as peaches. Stir in green onions, jalapeño pepper, garlic and lime juice. Stir in mint and salt to taste. Set aside.
In small bowl, stir together oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt, cinnamon and cayenne; sprinkle over and pat into both sides of chicken. Place on greased grill over medium heat; grill until chicken feels springy when touched and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve salsa spooned over chicken.
- Protein: 28.0 grams
- Fat: 4.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14.0 grams
- Calories: 204