A crunchy topping elevates these muffi ns to a new level, and are more economical than your usual coff ee spot. Freeze muffi ns for a take-along breakfast or mid-morning break.
Baking Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced unpeeled Ontario Apple
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) large fl ake rolled oats
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) melted butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) large fl ake rolled oats
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) each baking powder and ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking soda and ground nutmeg
- 2 Ontario Eggs
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) Ontario Milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) each packed brown sugar and vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) diced unpeeled Ontario Apples
Topping: In small bowl, combine apple, pecans, oats, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in butter until combined; set aside.
Batter: In large bowl, combine fl our, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg. In another large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, oil, honey and vanilla. Stir in apples. Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until combined. Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups.
Sprinkle topping evenly over muffi ns and press lightly into batter. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffi ns to wire rack to cool.
- PROTEIN: 5 grams
- FAT: 11 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 42 grams
- CALORIES: 282
- FIBRE: 2 grams
- SODIUM: 260 mg