In this traditional Mexican breakfast, eggs are cooked in a tomato sauce and served open faced on corn tortillas with a sprinkle of cheese. If desired, kick it up with hot sauce.
Cooking Time: 10 to 12 minutes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, chopped
- Half Ontario Greenhouse Sweet Yellow Pepper, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 Ontario Eggs
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shredded aged Ontario Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh Ontario Coriander, chopped (optional)
- Hot sauce, optional
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and yellow pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
With the back of a large spoon, make 4 wells in sauce. Break egg into each well. Reduce heat to medium-low or low; cover and cook until eggs are firm, 4 to 6 minutes.
Heat tortillas in microwave until warm, about 20 seconds. Place 1 tortilla on each plate. Place egg on each tortilla. Divide sauce over egg, sprinkle with cheese, and coriander, if using. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Small flour tortillas can be used instead of corn tortillas.
- PROTEIN: 10 grams
- FAT: 10 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 19 grams
- CALORIES: 205
- FIBRE: 3 grams
- SODIUM: 240 mg