These tasty and nutritious muffins are a great way to start the morning.
large muffins: 12
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted wheat germ
- 2-1/2 tsp (12 mL) cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) Ontario Organic Milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 Ontario Organic Eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) peeled and finely chopped Ontario Organic Apples (2 medium)
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely grated Ontario Organic Carrots (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each shredded coconut, raisins and chopped pecans
In medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
In large bowl, whisk together milk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Stir in apples, carrots, coconut, raisins and pecans. Stir in dry ingredients just until combined; do not over-mix (batter will be thick).
Spoon batter into lightly greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Sprinkle with Cinnamon Sugar Topping (recipe below). Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan, serve warm or cold.
Cinnamon sugar topping:
In small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon; prinkle over tops of muffi ns before baking.
- Protein: 5.0 grams
- Fat: 12.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 39.0 grams
- Calories: 284
- Fibre: 3.0 grams