In this unique combination, the sweetness of ripe local peaches balances the peppery sharpness of arugula. Toss in some salty feta and it’s a winner - tasty, colourful and healthy.
- 3 Ontario Beets, about 2-inches (5 cm) in diameter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (15 mL) Ontario Honey
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried tarragon leaves
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 2 Ontario Shallots, sliced
- 2 Ontario Peaches
- 1 bunch Ontario Arugula
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Ontario Goat Feta Cheese
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) roasted hulled pumpkin seeds
Trim beets, keeping 1-inch (2.5 cm) stem attached; place in small pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until almost tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Place in ice water until cold. Peel and slice into thin wedges.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with tarragon, salt and pepper.
In bowl, combine beets, shallots and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the dressing; let stand for 10 minutes or for up to 1 hour.
Peel peaches and slice into wedges.
In large salad bowl, place arugula. Add beet mixture and peaches; toss gently, tasting and adding more dressing as desired. Sprinkle with cheese and seeds.
Tip: Store any leftover dressing in a sealed jar in the refrigerator.
Nutrients per serving
- PROTEIN: 7 grams
- FAT: 20 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 18 grams
- CALORIES: 272
- FIBRE: 3.5 grams
- SODIUM: 265 mg