Somewhat like a fruit pizza, this recipe is an easy way to whip up a fabulous dessert. It is best eaten the same day it is made; cover and refrigerate any leftovers. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Chilling Time: 1 to 2 hours
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sifted icing sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red currant jelly or peach jam
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) almond extract
- 6 Ontario Nectarines or Peaches, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Whipped cream
In bowl, cream butter and icing sugar until fluffy. Blend in flour to make soft dough. Press into bottom and up the sides of 11-inch (28 cm) tart pan with removable bottom. Prick well with fork. Bake in 350ºF (180ºC) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
In small saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar and nutmeg; whisk in orange juice, jelly and almond extract. Cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
Sprinkle nectarines with lemon juice to prevent browning. Arrange in circles in single layer in baked pie shell. Spoon cooled glaze over nectarines and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
To serve, remove tart from pan and cut into wedges. Serve with whipped cream.
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrate: 36 grams
- Calories: 240
- Fibre: 2 grams
- Sodium: 65 mg