For dessert, serve over ice cream and warm Belgium waffles or spoon over pancakes for breakfast. Either way, the compote is a tasty and refreshing treat.
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped Ontario Rhubarb (1/2-inch/1 cm pieces)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Ontario Honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) orange juice or water
- 2 cups (500 mL) thick sliced Ontario Strawberries
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange rind
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
(Makes approx 2-1/2 cups/625 mL)
In medium saucepan, combine rhubarb, honey and orange juice; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in strawberries, orange rind and vanilla. Turn heat off, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
Tip: For a healthy breakfast idea, divide compote among mason jars, top with Greek yogurt and sprinkle with toasted nuts or granola. Cover and go.
Ontario Strawberries are available from May to October.
1 Serving (1/3 cup/75 mL compote):
- PROTEIN: 0.5 grams
- FAT: 0 grams
- CARBOHYDRATE: 16 grams
- CALORIES: 65
- FIBRE: 0 grams
- SODIUM: 2 mg