Sangrita, a popular spicy Mexican beverage, is prepared with juicy, sweet, ripe Ontario Tomatoes. Traditionally, a shot of tequila is served on the side to sip alternately with the Sangrita - slowly one after the other.
Chilling Time: 1 hour
- 3 Ontario Field or Greenhouse Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 cup (250 mL) each of tomato and orange juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) diced red onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 piece (4-inches/10 cm) Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks Ontario Celery
In blender, combine tomatoes, tomato and orange juices, red onion, hot sauce, garlic and cucumber; process until smooth. Refrigerate to thoroughly chill. Stir to mix. Pour into chilled glasses and garnish with celery stalk.
To peel tomatoes, cut 'x' in bottom of each and place in heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and let stand for about 30 seconds or until skins begin to split. Immediately drain and cool in ice water. Peel and cut out cores.
To seed tomatoes, cut in half crosswise and squeeze out seeds.
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fat: 0.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15 grams
- Calories: 64
- Fibre: 2 grams
- Sodium: 235 mg