Versatile strawberries show off their sweetness in these cornmeal muffins. When other Ontario berries come into season, such as blueberries and raspberries, feel free to substitute.
Baking Time: 18 minutes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each all-purpose flour and large flake oats
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) packed brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cornmeal
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and ground cinnamon
- 1 Ontario Egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ontario Milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated orange rind
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) chopped Ontario Strawberries
- 2 to 3 whole Ontario Strawberries, cut into 12 thin slices
Topping: In small bowl, mix flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Using fork, stir in butter, just until crumbly.
Batter: In large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In medium bowl, whisk egg, milk, butter, vanilla and orange rind. Pour over dry ingredients; stir until combined. Add chopped strawberries; stir gently until evenly mixed.
Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups; sprinkle with topping. Place one strawberry slice on each muffin. Bake in 375F (190C) oven for 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove muffins; cool on wire rack.
- Protein: 4 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrate: 30 grams
- Calories: 210
- Fibre: 1 gram
- Sodium: 230 mg