2016 Parliamentary Assistant Mandate Letter: Advanced Education and Skills Development
The Minister’s instructions to the Parliamentary Assistant on priorities.
December 30, 2016
Mr. Han Dong
Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development
Third Floor, Mowat Block
900 Bay Street
Dear Mr. Dong:
I am honoured to have you as my parliamentary assistant, and thank you for the valuable support that you provide me in this crucial role. I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back to the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development, and look forward to continuing to work closely with you to ensure that both ministry and overall government objectives are achieved.
At this mid-point of our mandate — and after having achieved two years of real and tangible progress — we are redoubling our efforts to deliver on our top priority — economic growth and good jobs. Our balanced plan to build Ontario up for everyone will deliver real benefits and more inclusive growth that will help people in their everyday lives. We will do this by continuing to invest in better infrastructure, more affordable and accessible postsecondary education, a competitive, low-carbon economy and improved retirement security.
Responsible fiscal management remains an overarching priority for our government, and, thanks to our disciplined approach, we are on track to balance the budget next year, in 2017-18.
The mandate letter I received in September from Premier Wynne sets out my specific priorities as minister for the coming two years. Parliamentary assistants play a key role in meeting these priorities and in helping put our government’s plan into action.
Our ministry is committed to ensuring that Ontario is the leading jurisdiction for talent, skills and training by working collaboratively to create a lifelong learning system that puts the learner and student at the centre. Together, we will work to prepare Ontarians for the jobs of the future by creating a more seamless, client-focused employment and training system, increasing access to high-quality student-focused, affordable and sustainable college and university education, and building Ontario’s highly skilled workforce for the modern economy.
As Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development, your specific responsibilities include:
- Continuing to support me and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development in the development of a Postsecondary International Education Strategy.
- Supporting me and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development as we implement one of the most ambitious reforms of student financial assistance in North America, including free tuition for students from families who make less than $50,000 a year.
- Collaborating with me and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development as we finalize new funding models for colleges and universities, and implement this model through Strategic Mandate Agreements.
- Assisting in the overall implementation of the Highly Skilled Workforce Strategy in partnership with ministries across government.
- Working with me and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development and relevant stakeholders to develop a modernized apprenticeship system focused on increasing completion rates, participation of traditionally underrepresented groups and creating clearer, better pathways for learners.
- Supporting me and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development to foster increased participation by Indigenous students in postsecondary education and create opportunities for all students to learn about Indigenous cultures.
- Assisting me and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development in effecting and supporting a provincial strategy for people with disabilities by the end of 2016 in partnership with the Minister Responsible for Accessibility.
A tremendous opportunity lies before us — to ensure that our ministry’s mandate is fully and effectively implemented, to continue to build Ontario up and to deliver real benefits to all Ontarians.
Original signed by
The Honourable Deb Matthews
Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development