Air Contaminants Benchmarks List: standards, guidelines and screening levels for assessing point of impingement concentrations of air contaminants
Get information on the ministry’s standards, guideline values and screening levels that are used to assess point of impingement concentrations of contaminants released into the air. These are used primarily to prepare an Emission Summary and Dispersion Modelling (ESDM) report.
On this page Skip this page navigation
The Air Contaminants Benchmarks List itemizes approximately 5,100 contaminants with corresponding benchmarks (standards, guidelines or screening levels), used by facilities to assess their contributions of a contaminant to air. This information is primarily used to complete an Emission Summary and Dispersion Modelling (ESDM) report under Ontario Regulation 419/05 or Ontario Regulation 1/17.
The list contains two types of benchmarks:
- Benchmark 1 (B1) values (standards and guidelines)
- Benchmark 2 (B2) values (screening levels)
If a B1 value is exceeded, the facility is required to carry out specific actions. See section 28 of Ontario Regulation 419/05 for actions.
If a B2 value is exceeded, or if no B2 value is available, the regulations require potential adverse effects to be assessed.
In 2017, the Air Contaminants Benchmarks List replaced these documents:
- Summary of Standards and Guidelines sorted by Chemical Abstracts Service (PIBS # 6569e01)
- Summary of Standards and Guidelines sorted by Chemical Name (PIBS # 6569e01)
- Jurisdictional Screening Level (JSL) List - A Screening Tool for Ontario Regulation 419 (PIBS # 6547e)