Become a probation and parole officer
Learn how to become a probation or parole officer, the eligibility requirements and on the job training.
On this page Skip this page navigation
Probation and parole officers play an important role helping to ensure public safety. They manage offenders that are serving their sentence in the community.
Requirements before you apply
Because probation and parole officers play in important role in the safety of communities in Ontario, our goal is to attract and hire high-calibre candidates.
If you want to be considered for a job as a probation and parole officer, you must meet certain requirements.
- You must have a degree from an institution authorized by the province to grant degrees, in one of the following disciplines:
- social work
- You must have over five years of experience in a social services or correctional organization, in a role(s) that involves:
- the formal assessment of human behaviour
- applying structured interventions that support the changing of human behaviour
If you don’t have experience in a social services or correctional organization, you can contact your local probation and parole office about volunteer opportunities to help you get experience in probation services.
- You must have strong skills in:
- verbal and written communication
- counselling and assessment
- You must be able to establish and maintain client and stakeholder relationships.
How to apply
To apply for probation and parole officer opportunities, you can either:
- submit an expression of general interest to the area manager of a local probation and parole office
- apply to a job posting online at the Ontario Public Services careers site
If you are hired as a new probation and parole officer, you must successfully complete a comprehensive basic training program.
This training program builds on the empirical research and principles of effective correctional intervention and programming.
You will also receive ongoing training in subjects that will help you perform your duties in a professional and effective manner.