Cap and trade CITSS registration: tips to entering data
As part of Ontario’s cap and trade program, you must register with the Compliance Instrument Tracking System Service (CITSS).
Get tips and guidance about how to enter data into CITSS.
On this page Skip this page navigation
1. General Overview
- The Compliance Instrument Tracking System Service (CITSS) is a web-based tool used to facilitate the participation in the cap and trade program.
- The Western Climate Initiative, Incorporated (WCI, Inc.) administers CITSS on behalf of participating jurisdictions.
- CITSS is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week (except for periodic maintenance).
2. CITSS General Navigation Guidelines
- CITSS ends the session if the user is inactive for 10 minutes.
- The use of the Back button in your browser may terminate the secure session or cause loss of data. Use the navigation buttons in each page instead.
- If you switch between languages (English or French) during the session, the application will return to the home page, and you risk losing the data entered during the session.
- CITSS is compatible with the main Internet browsers, including: Internet Explorer 7, 8 and 9, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera. Certain functions present slight differences depending on the browser.
- As a security measure, do not save your password using a web browser’s cache and consider clearing the browser’s cache upon logging out.
- Your password is case-sensitive.
3. Data Entry into CITSS
3.1 Recognition as an Account Agent (RAA) Tips
- Only enter verifiable information in all required fields, for example, your legal name instead of a nickname. Information provided will be compared to what is provided in the hard copy documents to validate the information entered in CITSS.
- Only enter the digits of the telephone numbers – without spaces, dashes or brackets.
- Emails are the primary method of communication regarding your applications in CITSS. Please ensure you provide the correct email address.
- Each CITSS User ID can only be associated with a single email address. Two CITSS Account Agents (users) cannot have the same email address.
- Do not enter in your business address during the RAA process (also known as User Registration). Enter in the address of your current residence.
Important Reminder: You must print the RAA forms before you exit CITSS. You will not have access to them afterwards. If you leave the site before printing the forms, contact the Ontario Cap and Trade Help Desk at 1-888-217-3326 or CThelp@ontario.ca.
3.2 Participant Registration Tips
- The Participant Registration process requires that at least one facility is added for Capped Participants.
- Participants can have various facilities under one account.
- Enter the same information, where possible, when submitting an Ontario Greenhouse Gas Emissions report.
- Once you reach the Facility Management screen during the Participant Registration online data entry step, your data is saved and you can log out and return later to finish your application.
- Once you submit your Participant Registration to the Director (Registrar), it cannot be modified until the Registrar has reviewed the application.
3.3 Submitting Data – Error Messages
- If you miss a required field or enter data in the wrong format, an error message showing the data to add or correct will display at the top of the registration page.
- You do not have to re-enter the data in all the fields, only in those that are shown.