How to report fish die-off

If you discover a fish die-off, contact the:

Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

If you suspect the fish died as a result of a spill, call the:

Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
Spills Action Centre

Learn about fish die-off

Viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS)

Koi herpesvirus (KHV)

How to report large bird deaths

If you see significant numbers of dead birds in one location contact the:

Canadian Cooperative Wildlife Health Centre

How to report small bird deaths

If you see smaller numbers of dead wild birds, especially:

  • waterfowl
  • American crows
  • common ravens
  • black-billed magpies
  • blue jays


Canadian Cooperative Wildlife Health Centre

Avian influenza (bird flu)

West Nile virus

How to report bat deaths

To report any unusual bat activity (flying outside in daytime) or deaths contact the:

Canadian Cooperative Wildlife Health Centre

Natural Resources Information and Support Centre
1-866-686-6072 for hearing impaired

White nose syndrome


Remove dead fish or wildlife from your property

Individual landowners are responsible for the cleanup of their own property.

In most cases, dead wild animals can be put in the garbage or buried.

If you are uncertain of disposal arrangements, contact your local municipality.

Municipalities are responsible for the public properties that they own. This includes municipally owned public beaches.

How to handle dead fish or wildlife

When handling dead fish or wildlife, be sure to:

  • wear rubber gloves or protective material
  • throw away any used gloves or protective material in the garbage
  • wash your hands thoroughly after handling carcasses
  • disinfect any tool that came into contact with the animal
Updated: May 21, 2021
Published: March 25, 2014