Essential reading list — Integrated care delivery systems
Find resources that focus on lessons learned from integrated care implementations around the world.
This information is intended for care providers. Find more information about how we’re improving the patient and caregiver experience.
On this page Skip this page navigation
This list of resources, curated by the Health System Performance Network (HSPN), focuses on lessons learned from integrated care implementations around the world. The articles provide an overview of the essential components and success factors of integrated care models, reflections on the transferability of international models, and opportunities for digital innovations.
- Factors That Distinguish High-Performing Accountable Care Organizations in the Medicare Shared Savings Program. D'Aunno T, Broffman L, Sparer M, Kumar SR. Health Serv Res. 2018 Feb;53(1):120-137. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12642. Epub 2016 Dec 26.
- Improving Care And Lowering Costs: Evidence And Lessons From A Global Analysis Of Accountable Care Reforms. McClellan M, Udayakumar K, Thoumi A, Gonzalez-Smith J, Kadakia K, Kurek N, Abdulmalik M, Darzi AW. Health Aff (Millwood). 2017 Nov;36(11):1920-1927. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0535.
- Contributions of relational coordination to care management in accountable care organizations: Views of managerial and clinical leaders. Rundall TG1, Wu FM, Lewis VA, Schoenherr KE, Shortell SM. Health Care Manage Rev. 2016 Apr-Jun;41(2):88-100. doi: 10.1097/HMR.0000000000000064.
- What works in implementation of integrated care programs for older adults with complex needs? A realist review. Kirst M, Im J, Burns T, Baker GR, Goldhar J, O'Campo P, Wojtak A, Wodchis WP. Int J Qual Health Care. 2017 Oct 1;29(5):612-624. doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzx095. Review. PMID: 28992156 Free PMC Article
- eHealth Advances in Support of People with Complex Care Needs: Case Examples from Canada, Scotland and the US. Gray CS, Mercer S, Palen T, McKinstry B, Hendry A. Healthc Q. 2016;19(2):29-37.
- Can accountable care organisations really improve the English NHS? Lessons from the United States. Alderwick H, Shortell SM, Briggs ADM, Fisher ES. BMJ. 2018 Mar 2;360:k921. doi: 10.1136/bmj.k921. PMID: 29500301
- Integrating care for older people with complex needs: key insights and lessons from a seven-country cross-case analysis. Wodchis WP, Dixon A, Anderson GM, Goodwin N. Int J Integr Care. 2015 Sep 23;15:e021. eCollection 2015 Apr-Jun.
- The Generation of Integration: The Early Experience of Implementing Bundled Care in Ontario, Canada. Embuldeniya G, Kirst M, Walker K, Wodchis WP. Milbank Q. 2018 Dec;96(4):782-813. doi: 10.1111/1468-0009.12357. Epub 2018 Nov 12.
- Operationalizing the learning health care system in an integrated delivery system. Psek WA, Stametz RA, Bailey-Davis LD, Davis D, Darer J, Faucett WA, Henninger DL, Sellers DC, Gerrity G. EGEMS (Wash DC). 2015 Mar 10;3(1):1122. doi: 10.13063/2327-9214.1122. eCollection 2015.
- Integrated care experiences and outcomes in Germany, the Netherlands, and England. Busse R, Stahl J. Health Aff (Millwood). 2014 Sep;33(9):1549-58. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0419.
- Pursuing the Triple Aim: The First 7 Years. Whittington JW, Nolan K, Lewis N, Torres T. Milbank Q. 2015 Jun;93(2):263-300. doi: 10.1111/1468-0009.12122.
- Towards a Canadian Model of Integrated Healthcare. Leatt P, Pink GH, Gurierre, M. Heatlhcare Papers. 2000 Mar;1(2):13-35. doi: 10.12927/hcpap17216.