Learn how we coordinate and facilitate Ontario's international relationships and work to raise Ontario's profile abroad.
On this page Skip this page navigation
The Ministry of Intergovernmental Affairs oversees international relations for the Ontario government.
Our core responsibilities include:
- providing strategic advice and analysis on intergovernmental relations and international affairs
- supporting the premier in enhancing Ontario's international relationships, image and profile
- playing a central coordination role on the province’s international engagement strategy
- facilitating Ontario’s relations with U.S. states, including managing the province’s membership in regional organizations such as the Great Lakes Commission and the Great Lake-St. Lawrence Governors and Premiers
Bilateral international relationships
At home and abroad, we support government agents when they represent Ontario on their visits with foreign government representatives. This includes:
- lieutenant governor
- parliamentary assistants
- senior government officials
We also serve as the primary point of contact to one of the largest consular corps in the world, with over 100 countries represented in Toronto.
Additionally, we work to:
- advance Ontario’s trade and commerce interests
- increase foreign investment attraction
- press for open and rules-based trading relationships
Updated: August 02, 2022
Published: August 02, 2022