Archived - Mandate letter progress: Tourism, Culture and Sport
The Minister’s response letter to Premier Wynne, outlining the results achieved on key mandate priorities in 2014-15.
On this page Skip this page navigation
January 11, 2016
The Honourable Kathleen Wynne
Premier of Ontario
Room 281, Main Legislative Building
I am pleased to give you an update on the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport’s successes over the last year, as related to the mandate letter. My ministry is a significant economic driver for our province. The work we do plays an important role in creating jobs and building vibrant communities.
Supporting Festivals and Events
Festivals and events build a strong economy and vibrant communities, attract tourists and contribute to job creation:
- A $20 million investment from Celebrate Ontario, an annual program, supported over 270 festivals and events in 2015 — the highest ever for the program.
Creating a Healthier Ontario through Sport and Active Recreation
My ministry promotes an active lifestyle and helps to increase participation in sport, recreation and physical activity by all Ontarians:
- A $7.2 million investment through the Ontario Sport and Recreation Communities Fund supported 123 projects.
- The Supporting Ontario’s Trails Act, 2015 would, if passed, improve and sustain urban, suburban, rural and remote land and water trails.
- More than 21,000 children and youth in priority neighbourhoods were given access to healthy, safe after-school activities.
- A new sport plan will help more Ontarians participate and excel in sport. Initiatives include a Sport Symposium and a Roundtable on Women and Girls in Sport to be held in 2016.
Revitalizing Ontario Place
Progress is being made on the revitalization of Ontario Place:
- The new Urban Park and William G. Davis Trail, named for the former Premier, will open in fall 2016.
Building a Dynamic Business Climate
Our work with the tourism industry supports the sector’s growth and encourages collaboration among industry partners:
- We announced the development of a Strategic Framework for Tourism.
- We supported industry to provide online information on accessible hotels and services.
- Work on an attractions study to support the ministry’s investment attraction efforts is being finalized.
My ministry continues to make progress in promoting Ontario’s creative and entertainment sectors:
- We worked with stakeholders to ensure the sustainability of our media tax credits, and improved support to the digital media sector through investments in a revised Interactive Digital Media Fund.
- The Ontario Music Fund supported 123 music companies and organizations, and was made into an annual $15 million program.
Promoting Culture, Heritage, and Tourism Agencies and Attractions
Our support to culture, heritage, and tourism agencies and attractions maximizes their economic and social contributions to the province:
- Work — including extensive consultation — is underway to develop Ontario’s first-ever culture strategy.
- Funding was provided to agencies and community partners to organize TO2015 Ignite Pan/Parapan Am Games celebrations.
Supporting Community Partnerships and Engagement
We continue to build partnerships and engage communities across the province:
- We are providing support to the establishment of Aboriginal Tourism Ontario.
- The Community Aboriginal Recreation Activator (CARA) program is being expanded to five more First Nation communities.
- Through the Ontario Libraries Capacity Fund (OLCF), a $10 million investment over three years to improve public libraries’ IT resources is being rolled out.
I am proud of the work my ministry has accomplished over the last year. The work we do brings opportunity and prosperity to all Ontarians. I look forward to continuing to make our province an innovative and inspiring place to live, visit and invest.
|Mandate Letter Commitment||
Progress to Date
|Support festivals and events that build a strong economy and vibrant communities, attract tourists and contribute to job creation.||
|Continue to measure the contributions of these events and festivals and ensure that all decisions relating to them are supported by sound economic analysis.||
|Continuing to promote an active lifestyle and increased participation in sport, recreation and physical activity for all Ontarians. You will build consensus and partner with stakeholders to co-ordinate the development, maintenance and promotion of these activities.||
|Implementing a refreshed Ontario Trails Strategy, including the introduction of trails legislation. This legislation will make thousands of kilometres of trails stronger and safer, and will also support the Pan/Parapan American Games.||
|Continuing to partner with key stakeholders in both the public and private sectors to revitalize Ontario Place. Your goal is to create economic opportunities for tourism and investment and transform the site into a year-round, multi-use waterfront destination for people of all ages. As a first step, an Urban Park and Waterfront Trail will open to the public in 2016.||
|Continuing to work with the tourism industry and regional tourism organizations to support the sector’s economic growth and encourage collaboration among tourism industry partners.||
|Partnering with other ministers to promote Ontario’s global competitiveness and attract international investment.||
|Promoting Ontario’s entertainment and creative industries. Ontario’s creative industries are a pillar of this province’s new economy and one of its best job creators. You will drive innovation and growth through strategic investments, partnerships and programs, including the Ontario Music Fund and Live Music Strategy. I ask that you continue to work with industry stakeholders to create a competitive and productive sector and to showcase Ontario’s talent and expertise.||
|Continuing to support culture, heritage, and tourism agencies and attractions to maximize their economic and social contributions to the province. You will continue to work with these agencies to ensure they meet high standards of governance, fiscal management and accountability.||
|I ask that you continue to work with stakeholders to build on the Entertainment and Creative Cluster strategy and develop an Arts Policy Framework. The Framework should help maximize the economic benefits of arts and culture to individuals and communities. In addition, I ask that you work with Ontario artists, educators and communities to develop an Ontario Culture Strategy, so that we are better able to tell our stories and help a new generation tap their artistic potential.||
|Continuing to build partnerships and engage communities across the province, including Aboriginal communities. You will continue to support the conservation of built heritage and archaeological resources, strong public libraries, a vibrant arts sector, sport, para-sport and recreation, Aboriginal community recreation, and economic opportunities including Aboriginal tourism.||