Ontario Corps volunteer registration
Register to volunteer as part of Ontario Corps to assist your community during an emergency.
On this page Skip this page navigation
The government is working every day to keep the 14.5 million people of Ontario safe, practiced and prepared during emergencies and natural disasters.
Ontario Corps harnesses the goodwill and civic pride of Ontarians by pooling volunteers to help communities during emergencies and supports emergency volunteer response efforts by partnering with:
- provincial ministries
- First Nations
- non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- community groups
This initiative will ensure we are better prepared and quick to respond when the next emergency strikes a community, region, or the entire province.
Register to volunteer
You can volunteer if you are:
- a resident of Ontario
- 16 years or older
- willing to complete a Criminal Records Check, provided free by the program
- willing to complete the required free, foundational online training
Criminal record check
All registrants must agree to complete a Criminal Record Check as part of their registration. Criminal Records Checks will be provided free of charge.
Through the Ontario Corps Volunteer Registration Portal, you will receive free, online training on the foundational knowledge needed to confidently provide support in an emergency. This training will be mandatory for all volunteers and must be completed before a volunteer is deployed to assist in an emergency.
Volunteers who indicate that they have professional or other certifications may be required to produce evidence of these credentials to partner organizations when requested.
Create your account
To register to volunteer, you must:
- create an account
- complete your profile
- complete the criminal record check
- complete training
Creating an account allows ministries and authorized third-party users to view your profile as they search for volunteers to support their emergency response efforts.
Once your account is set up, you can change your preferences at any time. If you wish for your account to be deactivated, please email EMOPreparednessPrograms@ontario.ca.
Coordination with emergency response efforts
All Ontarians have a part to play in preparing for emergencies. Emergency management is a shared responsibility between:
- individuals and families
- First Nations
- municipal, provincial and federal governments
- unincorporated communities and non-governmental and community organizations
Through Ontario Corps, volunteers will be available to support organizations that oversee emergency response operations and fill a variety of roles depending on the needs created by the emergency to which they are deployed. Some examples of volunteer roles include:
- general volunteers willing to complete a variety of tasks that don’t require specialized training or skills (this role may include welcoming people to emergency shelters or stocking emergency supplies)
- lead volunteers with leadership skills or experience who can support other volunteers (this role may include assisting with supervising and scheduling volunteers)
- skilled volunteers with specialized certifications or designations who can bring specific skills to a unique emergency situation (this role may include utilizing first-aid skills or transporting equipment)
Collection and disclosure of personal information
The personal information requested in your user profile or application will be collected by the Treasury Board Secretariat and is necessary for the proper administration of Ontario Corps as authorized by sections 5.1(1) and 6(1) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA).
The Treasury Board Secretariat collects, uses and discloses the personal information requested in your user profile or application to evaluate your suitability as a potential Ontario emergency volunteer for deployment by an Ontario ministry, community or authorized third parties in the event of an emergency as defined by the EMCPA.
This information will be maintained in a secure database and will be searchable and viewable by the following personnel and/or organizations for recruitment and potential deployment purposes:
- emergency management staff in all ministries
- staff in emergency management roles in municipalities
- authorized third-party organizations responsible for the management of an emergency
Additional personal information may be required if you are considered for deployment. Personal information may also be collected by the organization(s) or from your references. This additional information is only used to evaluate your suitability for deployment and verify the veracity of the information you provided. By providing this information, you consent to being contacted to volunteer in an emergency or to maintain the accuracy of the information provided.
This information will not be disclosed except as required for the above-noted purposes or as required by law.
Any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of personal information requested on this form can be directed to EMOPreparednessPrograms@ontario.ca.