Ontario Geological Survey
Learn about the Ontario Geological Survey’s publications, geological mapping, surveying, and laboratory and library services.
On this page Skip this page navigation
The Ontario Geological Survey (OGS) is the steward of Ontario’s public geoscience data. We collect, share and use geoscience data and information. Our three core functions are:
- geological mapping and surveying
- geoservices, including:
- chemical and physical analyses of inorganic materials at the Geoscience Laboratories (Geo Labs)
- cartographic, editorial and publication services of geoscience products
- library and archive services
- providing geoscience expertise at a local level to help attract investment that includes taking inventory of and assessing Ontario’s earth resource potential in local areas
The information and data we collect is used to:
- define and understand geological process and the earth’s resources
- publish maps, reports and digital data on Ontario’s geology
- attract and guide mineral investment in Ontario
- help the government make provincial land-use planning decisions related to:
- geological hazards and mineral resources
- climate change
- public health and safety
We also work with provincial, national and international geoscience partners to create a more robust geoscientific evidence base in Ontario. This evidence is used to support decisions on the sustainable use of land, minerals, energy, groundwater and living with environmental change.
Learn more about our geoscience research topics.
Our maps, reports and digital data are published online on GeologyOntario. All publications can be downloaded online for free.
You can also contact the Publication Sales Office to purchase:
- maps and reports in hard-copy (paper) format
- digital data sets
If you want to be notified of upcoming publications, sign up to receive the Publications Release Notices.
John B. Gammon Geoscience Library
The John B. Gammon Geoscience Library has a comprehensive collection of journals, theses, government documents, maps and reference material about geology and mineral exploration.
The library also provides computer terminals so you can access the:
- GeoRef geoscience literature database
- GeologyOntario application
Resident Geologist Program
The Resident Geologist Program (RGP) is a network of eight regional offices located across the province.
- provides geological consultation and advisory services
- promotes and stimulates mineral exploration
- maintains and provides public access to geoscience data and other resource materials
- monitors and reports on mineral exploration and development activity and issues affecting the minerals sector
- provides geoscience information and knowledge for land-use planning
- hosts and participates in public forums to promote Ontario's minerals industry
- delivers prospecting courses and public information sessions
- engages and builds relationships with Indigenous communities
The RGP also produces monthly activity reports that may include information on:
- mining and exploration activity
- property visits
- mineral Inventory database updates
To speak with a geologist, contact the Resident Geologist Program.
Our Geoscience Laboratories (Geo Labs), located in Sudbury Ontario, are a full-service inorganic analytical facility. We specialize in research grade analysis and provide services to government, academia and private sectors.
We provide analytical and research services in:
- method development
- reference material sales and production
- scanning electron microscopy
- carbon and sulphur analysis
- iron titrimetry
- particle size analysis
- calcite and dolomite analysis
- acid base accounting
- electron probe micro-analysis
- x-ray diffraction
- x-ray fluorescence
- sample preparation
- solution preparation
- lead and nickel sulphide fire-assay
- inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS))
- Inductively Coupled Plasma-Atomic Emission Spectrometry (ICP-AES)
- Flame Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry (Flame-AAS) / Microwave Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (MP-AES)
Schedule of fees and services
Download the Schedule of fees and services (PDF) for more information on our services.