Ontario government service standards
You get a standard level of service when you visit a government office in person, or contact us online or by phone, email, fax or mail.
On this page Skip this page navigation
To connect with a government office, find the topic you want information about on our website (for example, search for "birth certificates") and click the "contact us" button at the bottom of that web page. There, you will find contact information for the office responsible for that subject, including email and phone numbers. You can also search the government phone directory.
Visit an office
- business hours are 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday to Friday, except for statutory holidays and unless other times are posted
- without an appointment, wait times are less than 20 minutes, unless we tell you otherwise
Contact by phone
- calls should be answered within four rings during core business hours (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) or directed to voice mail (if available) or an alternate number
- voice mail (if available) will be returned within one business day (24 hours)
- calls received through contact centres during core business hours will be answered within two minutes unless otherwise communicated
Contact us by email, online, fax or mail
- we acknowledge emails and online messages within two business days and answer them within 15 business days
- we answer faxes or mail within 15 business days
- if we can’t answer your question right away, we will send you an estimated date of when we can answer it within 15 business days
Contact us by social media
- Staff-assisted social media services will be available from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding holidays) unless otherwise indicated.
- During these periods, all interactions which present a service opportunity will receive a response acknowledging or answering the request within 4 business hours.
- For acknowledged requests, a conclusive response will be provided within 5 business days.
- For complicated requests that require additional time, notification and/or an alternative communication channel will be provided.
Updated: September 09, 2022
Published: March 20, 2014